St. James Episcopal Church
St. James Episcopal Church, New London, CT was founded in 1725 and was the seat of America’s first Episcopal bishop, Samuel Seabury. The current church, completed in 1850, was designed by Richard Upjohn, one of the most celebrated architects of American religious structures in the nineteenth century. The c.1850 church structure is listed on the Connecticut and National Registers of Historic Places. There is also a connected structure, the Seabury Center, constructed in the 1960’s. Our firm provided a Conditions Assessment for the historic c.1850 church structure, which was funded by the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation. We are now involved in planning the implementation of several aspects of the study, including a new HVAC system, exterior masonry envelope issues, structural concerns and handicapped access improvements.