© 2019 by PAUL B. BAILEY ARCHITECT

Historic Renovation & Addition

This historic 1905 house was built as a home for the servants of the main estate house, which still exists on the adjacent property.  This sympathetic renovation opens up the interior by moving the kitchen to the new rear addition, revising and relocating the powder room and re-exposing the existing stairway and front entryway. 

 

The new kitchen, dining area and family room flow into each other in a more contemporary fashion, but the scale and detailing remains faithful to the original.  The rear family room opens up to a view of a stream and barn at the rear of the property through a large window reminiscent of the existing front façade’s most prominent feature.  A new front porch was added to accommodate the owner’s desire to sit in his rocking chair and gaze at the mountains in the distance.