Colonial Revival Addition
This circa 1940 Colonial Revival house has a strong presence on the street, and is distinguished by a multitude of interesting architectural features. As was typical for houses of this period, however, the kitchen and rear entry were cramped and undistinguished, having been relegated to servants’ usage. The owners wished to expand the house to better meet the needs of their family of five.
The new addition now contains an enlarged kitchen, a new screened porch, and an exterior deck with a recessed hot tub. The particular features of the addition were designed to utilize the existing motifs in simpler, more contemporary forms. The project was granted a national design award in the category “Sympathetic Addition” by the Great American Home Competition held by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.